Wednesday 2 September 2009

Just like big sis

Day three of Emily's intro to dagis (nursery) and I'm trying to get us all organised so that we're there in good time. I want to get there so that we have a little time with Alice there instead of just dumping her and rushing off...

Getting Ready
The getting ready routine in the household is usually "last-minute". Not quite the smooth "just-in-time" approach of Toyota, but more a panic-striken attempt to beat the clock (there's probably some comic game-show analogy there...)

We're also not used to using the clock - we've never really been in a rush for Alice to get to dagis - unless there was some outing or activity starting at a certain time. So changing that around has been a shock to the system - for all of us.

The "just-in-time" approach means breakfast, tv, teeth-brushing, getting dressed and out of the door. Ideally the tv time should be as little as possible to minimise a tv-coma effect - easier said than done if I need to do some extra preparation...

I would ideally like to organise the clothes the previous night but as we're soon moving into autumn there can be more variation in the weather. So everything starts with checking the thermoter for the outside temperature. Alice will always want to wear the minimum amount of clothes but the thermometer will indicate whether she'll start out in a summer dress, 3/4 length trousers, rain gear, sandals, trainers, wellies, socks or no-socks etc, etc.

Beat the clock
Getting clothes organised for both and teeth brushed.... I start brushing my teeth and give a brush to Emily (not so much brushing for Emily but getting a little bit of flouride on the teeth is the aim). Emily wanders off.

Alice pops her head around the bathroom door to ask a question.

Aarghhh!

She's drawn in biro all over her face.... Ok she'll have to go like that. I finish brushing my teeth and fetch the clothes I'd picked out for Emily and return.

Aarghh!

Emily has found a blue marker pen that Alice had been using - Alice didn't notice due to a tv-induced coma... Blue ink in the face and all down both legs!

I manage to get most ink off the face - but she still has a blue tinge. Too much ink on the legs - and I'd manage to pick shorts for today! Oh well, we're out of time so we have to go.

Proshers at workImage via Wikipedia



So I turn up to dagis with Alice sporting a biro beard, moustache and glasses and Emily, who as a look of a smurf about her....

I'm not sure if I was getting sympathy, pity or "just another hopeless dad..." judgement from the people I met...

No comments:

Post a Comment